Nov 30, 2022
Con artists and harmful horror tropes and production scandals, oh my! We’re talking about the Spielberg classic, Poltergeist, the origins of these spirits, and how we can do better with our horror tropes.
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of genocide, racism, violence, kidnapping, child endangerment, body horror, death, mourning, and misogyny.
- Recommendation: This week, Amanda recommends Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow by Gabrielle Zevin.
- Books: Check out our previous book recommendations, guests’ books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Call to Action: This Small Business Saturday, consider supporting your friendly local podcast collective! For $5 a month you get our weekly friendly debate podcast, access to our penpal exchange, monthly live events with the hosts, and much more. Join the MultiCrew and support Multitude this Small Business Saturday!
- BetterHelp is a secure online counseling service. Get 10% off your first month at betterhelp.com/spirits
- The Other Path is a new folklore-inspired podcast available in your podcast app now!
- Gilded Age Cocktails, Jazz Age Cocktails, and Midcentury Cocktails is the newest book from NYU Press. You can get 30% and free shipping when you input code SPIRITS-FM on nyupress.org.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us @SpiritsPodcast on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon (http://patreon.com/spiritspodcast) to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at http://spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at http://spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to http://spiritspodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.