Mar 10, 2021
We’re joined by author Jess Zimmerman, making her Spirits return, to talk about women and monsters from Greek mythology. We chat Aerosmith music videos, mansplaining, and rant about the lack of allyship from Athena.
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of misgendering, transphobia, sexualization, misogyny, body horror, death, drowning, violence against women, animal death, body horror, death by suicide, menustration, pregnancy, xenophobia, murder, matricide, and rape.
Jess Zimmerman is the editor-in-chief of Electric Literature and the author of Women and Other Monsters, from Beacon Press. She is also the author, with Jaya Saxena, of Basic Witches (Quirk, 2017). Her nonfiction writing has appeared in The Guardian, Slate, The New Republic, Hazlitt, Catapult, and others. Follow her on Twitter at @j_zimms and subscribe to her newsletter.
- Recommendation: This week, Amanda recommends Honey Girl by Morgan Rogers and The Disordered Cosmos by Dr. Chanda Prescod-Weinstein.
- Books: Check out our previous book recommendations, guests’ books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Call to Action: Check out all of Multitude’s merch at multitude.productions/merch!
- Stitch Fix is an online personal styling service that finds and delivers clothes, shoes, and accessories to fit your body, budget, and lifestyle. Get started at stitchfix.com/spirits for 25% off when you keep your whole box!
- BetterHelp is a secure online counseling service. Get 10% off your first month at betterhelp.com/spirits
- Function of Beauty is hair care formulated specifically for you. Save 20% off your first order at functionofbeauty.com/spirits
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us @SpiritsPodcast on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon (http://patreon.com/spiritspodcast) to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at http://spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at http://spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to http://spiritspodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.