Dec 23, 2020
A year ago, we said we’d have Emily VanDerWerff on to talk about A Christmas Carol, and damn it, we delivered! We talk cozy ghost stories, bringing back the tradition of wrecking the homes of the rich, and how trickle down economics ruined A Christmas Carol.
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of death, social inequality, trauma, Covid-19, capitalism, politics, cultural erasure, religious persecution, and depression.
Emily VanDerWerff is Critic at Large for Vox and co-creator of the podcast Arden. Follow her on Twitter @Emilyvdw.
- Recommendation: This week, Amanda recommends The Great Pottery Throw-Down on HBO Max. Check out our previous book recommendations, guests’ books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Merch: Check out our digital merch, including the Cool Cryptid Compendium, at spiritspodcast.com/merch!
- Multitude: Whether you're a podcaster, a creator, or interested in learning more about how our podcasts get made, we have dozens of free articles and videos for you! Find them at multitude.productions/resources
- Dipsea, an app to help you get more pleasure, more rest, and more time to connect with yourself. Get a 30-day free trial at dipseastories.com/spirits
- BetterHelp is a secure online counseling service. Get 10% off your first month at betterhelp.com/spirits
- EveryPlate is a meal kit with great value. Get 3 weeks of EveryPlate meals for only $2.99 per meal by going to EveryPlate.com and entering code SPIRITS3.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us @SpiritsPodcast on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon (http://patreon.com/spiritspodcast) to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at http://spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at http://spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to http://spiritspodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.