Jun 17, 2020
We’re joined by the ever insightful Amanda LeDuc this episode to talk about the portrayal of disability in fairytales. Join us as we look at stories like Snow White and The Little Mermaid through her lens, and get inspired by Amanda’s recommended resources on learning more about disability and advocacy.
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of ableism, body mutilation, death, suicide, and Covid-19.
- Donation: Please join us in donating to the National Bail Funds at http://secure.actblue.com/donate/bail_funds_george_floyd
- Recommendation: This week, Julia recommends A Song of Wraiths and Ruin by Roseanne A. Brown. Check out our previous book recommendations, guests’ books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Merch: Our new digital coloring book is for sale at http://spiritspodcast.com/merch!
- Multitude: The first season of NEXT STOP is now available to listen to in its entirety! Search for NEXT STOP in your podcast player or visit http://nextstopshow.com
- Amanda Leduc's essays and stories have appeared in publications across Canada, the U.S., and the UK. She is the author of Disfigured (Coach House Books: February 2020) and the novels The Miracles of Ordinary Men and the forthcoming The Centaur’s Wife. She has cerebral palsy and lives in Hamilton, Ontario, where she works as the Communications Coordinator for the Festival of Literary Diversity (FOLD), Canada’s first festival for diverse authors and stories. She can also be found on Twitter and Instagram.
- Skillshare is an online learning community where you can learn—and teach—just about anything. Visit skillshare.com/spirits2 to get two months of Skillshare Premium for free! This week Amanda recommends “Easy & Versatile Baking: The One Yeast Dough You Need to Know” by Julia Turshen.
- ThirdLove is on a mission to find a perfect bra for everyone. Get 15% off your first order at thirdlove.com/spirits.
- Zombies, Run! is an app available for iPhone and Android that makes running a fun, hopeful, mission-driven activity. Download the app today to experience their New Adventures.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us @SpiritsPodcast on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon (http://patreon.com/spiritspodcast) to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at http://spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at http://spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to http://spiritspodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.