Mar 18, 2020
We all need a little bit of escapism in times like this, so we’re taking a voyage under the seas to examine the Tom Hanks movie Splash, and how we see mermaids in media. We also ask the very important question: How would a mermaid ride a dolphin?
Media mentioned in this episode:
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about or mentions of Covid19, drowning, eugenics, NSFW discussions about fish people, accidental death, intense weather, colonialism, homophobia, misogyny, ableism, and enslavement.
- Recommendation: This week, Amanda recommends Emily St. John Mandel’s The Glass Hotel! Buy a copy and see our new lists of previous recommendations, guest books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books
- Multitude: Listen to HORSE episode 45 for a haunted hotel story. Join the MultiCrew at multicrew.club, and check out Next Stop in your podcast player or nextstopshow.com!
- Doordash is a fast, convenient food delivery app. Get $5 off your first order of $15 or more when you download the DoorDash app and enter CREEPY at checkout.
- Skillshare is an online learning community where you can learn—and teach—just about anything. Visit skillshare.com/spirits2 to get two months of Skillshare Premium for free! This week Julia recommends “Confident Quilting” by Joellen Kemper.
- Honeybook, a purpose-built business management platform for creative small businesses. Get 50% off your first year on HoneyBook.com/SPIRITS.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to SpiritsPodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.