Mar 4, 2020
Just in time for Purim we’re joined by Eliana Morris, who gives us a primer on the holiday’s story, feminist themes, and celebratory traditions. Also featuring a lot of Disney references, some of the best Purim spiels we’ve ever heard, and more than a few mentions of The Bachelor.
Content Warning: This episode contains conversations about inequality in relationships, misogyny, virginity as a construct, execution/hanging, anti-Semitism, religous persecution, mentions of abuse, attempted sexual assault, and mention of mass shooting.
Eliana Morris recommends you check out your local Jewish Federation! Find the one closest to you at jewishfederations.org She also recommends the books, Jewish Literacy, The Diary of a Young Girl, Rashi’s Daughters, Hey Alma, Sacred Treasure—The Cairo Genizah, and Stolen Words.
- Recommendation: This week, Amanda recommends Too Much: How Victorian Constraints Still Bind Women Today by Rachel Vorona Cote. Buy a copy and see our new lists of previous recommendations, guest books, and more at spiritspodcast.com/books!
- Live Shows: We’re coming to Boston in May and Potterless is visiting New Orleans in April! Get tickets now at multitude.productions/live
- Multitude: Join the MultiCrew at multicrew.club, and check out Next Stop in your podcast player or nextstopshow.com!
- Skillshare is an online learning community where you can learn—and teach—just about anything. Visit skillshare.com/spirits2 to get two months of Skillshare Premium for free! This week Julia recommends “Art Abroad: How to Create a Travel Sketchbook” by Christine Nishiyama.
- ThirdLove is on a mission to find a perfect bra for everyone. Get 15% off your first order at thirdlove.com/spirits.
- Motherland premieres March 18, 2020 on Freeform.
Find Us Online
If you like Spirits, help us grow by spreading the word! Follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, and Goodreads. You can support us on Patreon to unlock bonus Your Urban Legends episodes, director’s commentaries, custom recipe cards, and so much more. We also have lists of our book recommendations and previous guests’ books at spiritspodcast.com/books.
Transcripts are available at spiritspodcast.com/episodes. To buy merch, hear us on other podcasts, contact us, find our mailing address, or download our press kit, head on over to SpiritsPodcast.com.
Spirits was created by Julia Schifini, Amanda McLoughlin and Eric Schneider. We are founding members of Multitude, an independent podcast collective and production studio. Our music is "Danger Storm" by Kevin MacLeod (http://incompetech.com), licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0.